Jura is the only distillery situated on the Island of Jura, on the west coast of Scotland just northeast of Islay, a comparatively small island with its inhabitants (referred to as Diurachs) numbering less than 200 people. It's described as "extremely unget-at-able".
The distillery was founded in 1810 and obtained its licence in 1831 by William Abercombie, changing hands in 1853 to Norman Buchanan. It soon closed in 1867, opened again to the Ferguson family then again closing in 1901, this led to the distillery being closed until 1960, when Charles Mackinlay & Co embarked on a reconstruction project. The distillery is owned by Glasgow founded and based Whyte and Mackay.