The Dalmore distillery is located in Alness, Scotland, which is 32km north of Inverness. It sits on the banks of the Cromarty Firth overlooking the Black Isle, the "big meadowland", from which it takes its name. The Dalmore distillery is owned and operated by Whyte & Mackay. The legend of The Dalmore dates back to 1263, when Colin of Kintail, Chief of the clan Mackenzie, saved King Alexander III of Scotland from a charging stag. As a reward the grateful King, granted Colin of Kintail the lands of Eilean Donan and the right to use the 12-pointed Royal Stag as the Mackenzie clan crest.
The distillery was established in 1839 by entrepreneur Alexander Matheson, Andrew and Charles Mackenzie bought bought the distillery 28 years later. Operations ran fairly smoothly at the distillery until 1917, when the British Royal Navy began to use the firth next to the distillery as a site for the production of deep-sea mines. In 1920 much of the distillery was destroyed by an explosion. The distillery remained family-owned until 1960 when one of Dalmore's main customers, Whyte & Mackay, took control. The water used in the Dalmore is taken from the river Alness. The waters of the river flow from the nearby Loch Morie, located deep in the heart of the Northern Highlands.
For more information, visit The Dalmore Distillery website.