The Dallas Dhu distillery was a producer of single malt Scotch whisky that operated between 1899 and 1983. Dallas Dhu means "Black Water Valley" in Gaelic. Its whisky also appeared as a "Dallas Mhor" single malt. Originally named "Dallasmore", the Dallas Dhu distillery was built in 1898 by Alexander Edward of the Sanquhar estate outside Forres. It featured a pagoda roof designed by Scottish architect Charles C. Doig. When ownership of the distillery changed to Wright & Greig Ltd. in 1899, it was renamed to "Dallas Dhu".
On 9 April 1939 the distillery, along with much of its equipment, was damaged by a fire. Damage was estimated at £7000. The fire and the start of World War II delayed the distillery's re-opening until 30 March 1947.
Most equipment was powered by steam engines and a large water wheel until the 1950s, when it was replaced with electric power. The worm tubs were replaced in 1956, and increasing demand saw the installation of two more wash backs, one new mash tun and one boiler in 1964. Between 1968 and 1969, the stills were replaced, and they were converted from coal heat to oil-fired steam heat in 1971.
Economic pressure and an unreliable water supply forced Dallas Dhu to close in 1983, and its distilling licence was withdrawn in 1992. The last barrel was filled on 16 March 1983, although the buildings were re-opened to the public in 1988 under Scotland's Historic Buildings and Monument Directorate.