Balblair is located in Edderton, Ross-shire, Scotland. Founded in 1790 by John Ross and in 1824 was joined by his son Andrew. It was family run until being taken over by Alexander Cowan in 1894. Soon after in 1895 the distillery was rebuilt by Charles Doig to be closer to Edderton railway station on the Inverness and Ross-shire railway line.
Balblair uses the Pitch stone Clach Brioch to inspire its design of their bottling. The Clach Brioch ("sharp stone" in English) is a three metre standing stone from the bronze age, roughly 4000 years old.