The Brora distillery was built in 1819 by the Marquess of Stafford, although it was known as "Clynelish" until the opening of the new Clynelish Distillery next door in 1968, whereupon the name of the original distillery was changed to "Brora". Between May 1969 and July 1973, Brora produced a heavily peated whisky to supply for blending; this was done a shortage of Islay whisky caused by a drought in that region. Most of the whisky produced at Brora after 1973 is in the lightly peated Highland style.
In early 1983, production at Brora was stopped and the distillery was mothballed. In October 2017, Diageo announced that it will re-open the Brora distillery, where production resumed in May 2021.